In this guide, we are going to cover setting up motion detection on your Hikvision CCTV Recorder.
Before You Begin
Before you get started check you have your cameras connected to your Recorder and power. You will also want to have a monitor connected to your recorder and receiving a live camera feed.
Step 1: Setting Up Your Schedule
- With a mouse connected to your recorder right click on the screen and select Main Menu.
- Now click on the record menu which will take you to the recording schedule.
- On the right, you will see a row of colours with one of these being green by why it says Motion if you click on this.
- This will now allow you to set the time periods you want motion detection to happen at. To have it record on motion 24/7 you can click and hold in the box to the right of Mon and then drag towards the bottom right-hand corner.
- While doing this you will see a red box appear, the area covered by this box is the time which will be set to motion detection. If you want this to be 24/7 you will want the entire grid to be covered.
- Once you have the time period selected which you want motion press the apply button.
- Repeat these steps for each additional camera you have or if you want the same settings for all cameras press the copy button. Put a tick in the box for each channel that you want to copy the settings across to and press ok.
- Press the Apply button again and then you can go back.
Step 2: Configuring Your Motion Settings
- Now that you have configured the schedule you want to select the Camera option from the main menu.
- Select Motion from the list on the left.
- At the top, you have the option to select which camera you to setup motion detection on, leave this on channel 1 for now.
- Tick the box next to where it says Enable Motion Detection.
- Press on the settings button which will bring up the Trigger Channel option. As you are setting up channel 1 now you want to tick the box for channel 1 so only camera records. Click the Apply button and then press ok.
- You will see a sensitivity slider for how sensitive the camera’s motion detection is. My advice would be to leave this around the middle option. Then carry out some tests or leave it for a day or two to see how many recordings you get. If you are not getting enough recordings you can make it more sensitive by making the number higher. If you’re getting too many you can make it less sensitive by making the number lower.
- The image which you are getting on the left with a red grid over it shows the areas the camera is looking to detect motion. What does this mean? If you have a tree blowing in the background which is constantly triggering off the camera you can remove the grid from that section of the screen.
- Once you have set the motion detection up how you want you can press the apply button at the bottom. Repeat these steps for any additional cameras which you have by selecting the camera channel at the top.
Need more help?
If you need help with anything else please check out our other guides or get in contact.